More than half a century ago, even before the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, Avraham (Bondi) Livnat launched an operation that would become Taavura, Israel's largest road haulage and logistics organization.
It all began with one single truck - a Mack 125 horsepower NR. Taavura's genesis featured a commission from the Haifa-based Palestine Road Construction Company to build a new road between Netanya and Tel Aviv; the construction of the famous "Faluja Road" between Castine and Plugot and the treacherously steep and ever- twisting road between Dimona and Sodom by the shores of the Dead Sea. By 1952, Bondi already owned four trucks, an excavator and a bulldozer.
1955 was the year when Taavura was registered as a limited company. That year, Bondi acquired his first two low-bed, heavy haulage trailers.
In 1957 Bondi’s brother, Yitzhak, left the army, joined the company and became a shareholder in Taavura. He started his way from the bottom, learned the business on the steering wheel, experiencing problems, which assisted him in the future running of the company.
During his years in Taavura (over a quarter of a century) Yitzhak was running the company together with Bondi, covering more the administrative and business developments aspects and helping the company grow to its present leading position.
By 1960, Taavura's new front end loader and heavy dump trucks were disposing of eight tons of overburden for every ton of copper extracted from the Timna Mines.
By 1962, Bondi purchased Cement Containers Ltd. and entered into the field of bulk transportation. The company purchased the first two of its 50 car carriers in 1968 and in 1983, it launched Talmarine, a subsidiary for marine operations.
In the years that followed, Taavura established many more subsidiaries engaged primarily in logistics (Maman Air Cargo), imports and the marketing of trucks and heavy equipment (Tashtit Construction Machinery), specialized transportation fields and other related sectors.
In January 1996, Yitzhak, together with the CFO Kadezki, have sold their shares in Taavura to Mashav Initiating and Development Ltd. (those shares now holds by Nesher Israel Cement Enterprises Ltd.), opening a new chapter in the company's tale of success.
Today, Taavura's fleet includes hundreds of trucks and trailers, over a hundred units of heavy mechanical engineering equipment, cranes, marine vessels, Buses and more.
Taavura's accomplishments could never have been achieved without the outstanding relationship that the company enjoys with its employees (now totaling approximately 6,000).